Stepping Stones of the Pacific
Jeju Island is called the Island of Peace. The Steping Stones of the Pacific Park on Jeju Island South Korea was built in the heat of the summer just before the rainy season in July 2010. The park was constructed by 27 students from China, Japan, South Korea, Russia, the Philippines and the United States.
Stepping Stones sits at the edge of the ocean looking out to the sea and future; the park has is back against the mountains commemorating the past and the painful memories of war. On the east side of the park a spiral contains a scuplture of the grandmother stone connected to the sea. On the west side of the park an earth mound with a stone courtyard faces the Pacific, with a large pearl placed as a gift to the future.
This park was built in conjuction with the Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, the Jeju International Council and a number of other orgazations and people of good will who contributed to make this park a reality; their contributions are enshrined in stones at the park’s entry.
July 11th- August 7th 2010
The Pacific Rim Parks Organization designed and build the 6th Pacific Rim Park on the Island of Jeju South Korea.
The park sits at the edge of the sea, with its back against the memory of war, which reaches back to the past. On the east side of the park the spiral contains a sculpture of the grandmother stone who is connected to the sea. On the west side of the park is a earth mound with a stone courtyard facing the pacific. In the center is a large white pearl placed as a gift to the future of our Pacific. We hope our work will help in Jeju’s quest for peace.
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province
- Citizen Association of the Island of World Peace
- Jeju International Council
- Jeju National University
- City of Seogwipo
- Ilan Leal Foundation
- Mission Valley Rotary of San Diego
- Hayng Yan University, Seoul
- Dankook University, Seoul
- University of California in San Diego International Relations of Pacific Studies Program
- Far-Eastern State Technical University, Vladivostok Russia
- Yantai University, Yantai China
- Iberoamericana, Insituto Tecnologico, Tijuana Mexico